Friday, November 23, 2012

from field to cake

A very lovely friend of mine gave us some space in one of her fields this year to grow some veg. It has been a really great process for us and we have  loved growing some of our own veggies. Especially carrots! The kids all love carrots and I have very selflessly worked my way through about 5 carrot cake recipes until I have found just the right one. Be sure that I have tested each recipe a good couple of times each and I will now share with you the winning one.

Carrot Cake
250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarb of soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1 beaten egg
100ml water
1 tbsp runny honey
100g soft brown sugar
300g finely grated carrot
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tablespoons corn (or sunflower) oil
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup mixed seeds
1/2 cup crushed almonds

icing: 50g light cream cheese, 100g icing sugar, 1/2 tsp orange juice

To make:

 dig up carrots
 set small boy to work scrubbing them. peel and grate
 Mix together all the wet ingredients and sugar (in the past I have doubled the honey and halved the sugar)
Mix together the flour, salt, cinnamon, bicarb of soda and baking powder. Mix into the wet ingredients.

Rebe doesn't like raisins or nuts so at this point I spoon some of the mixture into little muffin cases.
 Then I crush the almonds
 and employ a mixer:

lick bowl and spoon

 Bake in a cake pan in a pre heated oven at 190 degrees for 40 mins or until it is well risen and you can do the skewer test., this is always best done under close supervision.

 Allow to cool then cover with icing (again I have substituted sugar for honey in the past)
 best enjoyed with a cup of coffee and in peace and quiet... or when just home from school...
Enjoy :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment