Wednesday, November 3, 2010

autumn

What an autumnal day we're having!Look at the colours of the trees, just so beautiful. The weather on the other hand is decidedly not lovely...in fact it's grotty. But within this grottiness is wind... Enough for a spot of kite flying.
Beautiful Joa watching the kite from the sling on my back.



This also seems to prime monkey season, look I spotted this one in the trees...
It's a very smug one!


I have noticed such a change in Rebe of late. When I look at her I somehow feel separated from her. Not in a negative way, it's very hard to explain. I feel we are moving away from one kind of mother/child relationship, that of a small child and her needs for her mama. Instead she now needs a watcher, an observer, someone to bounce ideas off, someone to tell things too and to show things too. She is becoming so independent and strong and mature. She is so interesting and just oozes vitality and enthusiasm.
She is also more balanced; she has come into her body much more of late. She has always been so in her head and although she is still a real thinker she is settling into her body. She is less clumsy and is much more coordinated. She is less scared of things like climbing trees and jumping off things, she wants to give it a go and is brave and will test her body's limits. She is also developing her taste more and for the first time in her life is starting to refuse certain foods.
I don't feel sad that she no longer needs me the way the boys do, I just feel so very privileged that she chooses to spend time with me and shares her life with me!
(Rebe worship over...)

Monkey jewels
We found this little abandoned kids tree house thing up behind the houses and we had a good old play there to end our outdoor time.
We came home in need of sustenance and made ourselves some hot chocolate and these muffins...

Banana and Honey Muffins
2 ripe bananas (mashed)
1 cup s/r flour
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 tsp bicarb of soda
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp honey

Mix together all the ingredients, spoon into cake cases (made 12 good sized muffins). Bake at about 180 for 15 mins (until muffins are brown on top and spring back up when you press them). While still hot drizzle on a little honey to the top of each muffin...enjoy!
It was a lovely autumn day, now we're cosy and snuggled up waiting for our stew to be cooked.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Laura, beautiful words about your beautiful Rebe! I know just what you mean about that separation that starts to happen! Your heart must burst with pride over your girl!
    Gosh Joa is breathtaking in that picture!
    The muffin recipe looks divine, I have been searching for a better banana muffin recipe, I'll have to give this a try!
    Wish I could just come on over to Ireland to see you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you like the muffin recipe...we did, we've only 2 left GREEDY!! oops, things like this make loosing baby weight just impossible! Wish you could come over too, I would love to share time with you all x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I just wanted to say that I love the way you described Reba and her new stage of life. The parent/child relationship and the continuous growth of us is a beautiful thing. Thanks for sharing. I think you have a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks Joy, you're very sweet to say so x

    ReplyDelete